All About Cammodel Lighting

This is a forum for general topics about the cammodel industry. Open to all members.
Genoveve
Hustler
Reactions:

Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:18 pm

^^Why??? When I shop for ringlights on Amazon only USB ones show up. You're saying to get ones that have to be plugged directly into an outlet?

aka Genoveve
EtherealMOD
Site Admin
Reactions:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:15 pm

Genoveve wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:18 pm ^^Why??? When I shop for ringlights on Amazon only USB ones show up. You're saying to get ones that have to be plugged directly into an outlet?
@Genoveve

Girl yes! I have USB ring lights, but I only use them for photos or clip making. Short term use. I mean I could be completely wrong when it comes to the performance? I've had the same USB ring lights for almost 3 years and they still work each time I plug them in. Because you're using them for hours each day that might be why you've had to replace them so much. It could be the extension cord frying them out.

In my experience I have better performance/longevity when I plug high powered electronics directly into a power outlet. Also I don't think those USB ring lights are built to endure long sessions. Imo those are for cute selfies and short form content.

Here are a list of ring lights currently found on Amazon:

The Neewer 18 inch RGB RING LIGHT FOR LIVE STREAMING. Right now there's an offer for $25 off of the $135 price tag. Also it can be controlled by an app on your phone.

Neewer 18-inch RGB Ring Light with APP Control, Dimmable Bi-Color 3200K-5600K CRI 97+ LED Ring Light with Stand, 0-360 Full Color, 9 Scenes Effect for Selfie/Makeup/Party/Vlog/YouTube/Photography https://a.co/d/6fVr3KT

The Neewer 18 inch old school standard RING LIGHT FOR LIVE STREAMING. This one is less expensive and doesn't have an RGB option but if that's not your style, then it doesn't matter. Currently it's going for $84.20

Limited-time deal: NEEWER Ring Light Kit: 18"/48cm Outer 55W 5500K Dimmable LED Ring Light, Light Stand, Carrying Bag for Camera, Smartphone, YouTube, TikTok, Self Portrait Shooting, Black https://a.co/d/h7l9UCj

If you'd like a ring light with both RGB and app controlled not priduced by Neewer, then there's a brand called the Weeylite. Unfortunately I didn't have the best experience with them because the app was filled with spam and there were connection issues. That was a few years ago.

There's also the Elgato key lights that can run from your phone and software on your computer. There are so many alternatives when it comes to lighting and the set doesn't have to be super bulky. Tomorrow I will try to create a video and then share it here.

RuthStrawberry
Reactions:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:10 am

Genoveve wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:18 pm ^^Why??? When I shop for ringlights on Amazon only USB ones show up. You're saying to get ones that have to be plugged directly into an outlet?
Mine are plugged into the mains using a USB plug.

ggminx
Hustler
Reactions:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:08 am

i have that neewer 18" and love it. for some reason, my bitrate was suffering out of nowhere and ended up buying a 2nd smaller softer filler ring light that also plugs in with a dc adapter. i think the dc adapter is superior to the usb ring lights. i've had the usb ring lights for when i move the cam around for shows and the usb ones are the ones i always have to replace and decided to stop buying. now it's dc power adapter ring lights for me all the way

ETA: I do want a more portable light set up even though I have the travel bag that came with the neewer 18" light. it's not very practical and takes up my overhead carryon space. i'd like something that would fit into my existing luggage.

gonna look into those elgato key lights. would 2 work for an entire live stream lighting setup on their own?

EtherealMOD
Site Admin
Reactions:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:10 pm

ggminx wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:08 am i have that neewer 18" and love it. for some reason, my bitrate was suffering out of nowhere and ended up buying a 2nd smaller softer filler ring light that also plugs in with a dc adapter. i think the dc adapter is superior to the usb ring lights. i've had the usb ring lights for when i move the cam around for shows and the usb ones are the ones i always have to replace and decided to stop buying. now it's dc power adapter ring lights for me all the way

ETA: I do want a more portable light set up even though I have the travel bag that came with the neewer 18" light. it's not very practical and takes up my overhead carryon space. i'd like something that would fit into my existing luggage.

gonna look into those elgato key lights. would 2 work for an entire live stream lighting setup on their own?
Yes, two key lights will cover a lot of ground but they won't light up an entire room. You should take a look at the Neewer panel lights because they're compact and affordable.

CarmenRose
Certified Hustler
Reactions:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:55 pm

EtherealMOD wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:10 pm
ggminx wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:08 am i have that neewer 18" and love it. for some reason, my bitrate was suffering out of nowhere and ended up buying a 2nd smaller softer filler ring light that also plugs in with a dc adapter. i think the dc adapter is superior to the usb ring lights. i've had the usb ring lights for when i move the cam around for shows and the usb ones are the ones i always have to replace and decided to stop buying. now it's dc power adapter ring lights for me all the way

Yes, two key lights will cover a lot of ground but they won't light up an entire room. You should take a look at the Neewer panel lights because they're compact and affordable.
I am also looking for more lights. May I ask which Neewer panel lights?

I did a search and several different ones came up.

EtherealMOD
Site Admin
Reactions:
Sun May 07, 2023 8:06 pm

CarmenRose wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:55 pm
EtherealMOD wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:10 pm

I am also looking for more lights. May I ask which Neewer panel lights?

I did a search and several different ones came up.
I had a 2 pack that was going for a little over $100 but I see that the price has gone up. I gifted them to a relative because I had so many lights it was out of control. I don't remember the exact model but I do know that they weren't the RGB panel lights. They were pretty basic.

Genoveve
Hustler
Reactions:

Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:48 pm

Genoveve wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:50 pm Speaking of lighting, my ring lights always crap out on me too soon. Like I have to buy a new one every 8 months, I notice though that the UBS cube thingie(??) that they're plugged into get really hot, my current ring light is already on the fritz (I have a replacement here already) but I switched out the cube thingie to a different one to see if that helps, I have some that are REALLY old and I have no clue what age each one is. But also I have them plugged into an extension cord and the extension cord is old AF and I feel like I heard somewhere recently that extension cords should only be for temporary use, not for something that you always keep plugged in.

Okay have been trying a different cube and it's still heating up a lot. Granted even my newest cube is a few years old at least. Gonna experiment with it plugged directly into the wall next.
So it is the cube things(USB plugs). My newest ring light would flicker a ton and annoy the shit out of me, when I plugged it into my laptop it would work perfectly but then it made my laptop start lagging because I guess I already have so many things plugged into it. I ordered some new USB plugs and my ringlight doesn't flicker at all with them now.

aka Genoveve
ggminx
Hustler
Reactions:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:33 pm

got this usb hub back in '18 and it's still going strong. it's plugged into my laptop and everything else that can be plugged into it is...even my bluetooth earpiece and cam

MGB
Reactions:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:33 am

wait red light gets rid of cellulite? I thought it was a general anti aging measure- do you mean the actual lighting hides cellulite on your body or Red Light Therapy?