Are Cosmetic Procedures Tax Deductible

Your body your business! Everything body related goes here: exercise, surgery, clothing, products, etc.

Moderator: Genoveve

EtherealMOD
Site Admin
Reactions:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:53 pm

innocentindian;3226616 wrote:I was wondering if cometic procedures are tax deductible? Since our looks and general upkeep are important to our job as models, would things like skin treatments, cosmetic surgery, braces, laser hair removal, etc. be considered tax deductibles?

I already deduct direct business expenses such as clothing I only wear for work, any new camera or lighting gear, internet and phone bill, and a home office deduction. I was wondering how far I could stretch it if I included cosmetic procedures :P

EtherealMOD
Site Admin
Reactions:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:54 pm

kinkydirtybitch;3226634 wrote:Yep I was told by my accountant that I could claim 50% when I got my fun bags. Same goes for makeup, cosmetics, beauty treatments the lot.

I've been through a couple of rather stressful audits where they go through the records with a fine tooth comb and am in the UK.

I put them through again as tax deductible when I had them out 10 years later when I got further into the health and fitness industry.

A degree of personal usage is inevitable hence 50%
caramelcraze;3226694 wrote:Depends on what you're trying to write off. Like makeup is a no go because you can't prove that it's specifically just for the job. Filler might also be hard to write off because you can't really prove it's work specific. Boobs I know you can get a percentage written off. Talk to an accountant though & let us know what you find out!
moneybags;3227186 wrote:damn I wish I could give you my accountant. I’ll see if she does out of state cause she’s super sweet.

Fillers and Botox I don’t deduct, but you can get it cheap https://nationallaserinstitute.com/be-a-model/. I’ve had them do my work for years. Boobs maybe? You have to talk to an accountant. When In doubt don’t. you don’t have a team of lawyers to fight the irs. The rules is if it’s only for work...yes! Phone, rent, and utilities is a portion. A good accountant can help you.

The pink tax sucks! It’s totally unfair. Boo!
SapphireXO;3228881 wrote:I don't wear makeup outside of camming so I do deduct my primer and makeup. However I do not deduct my makeup removal products like face wash and sugar scrub as it's more personal hygiene than theatre makeup. Unfortunately anything that is for personal upkeep or personal hygiene, it is not tax deductible even if it's for your "image." I asked my industry CPA about hair cuts, hair coloring, Botox, skin microneedling, pedicures, acrylic nails - NOPE! Unless you receive a script or something for like a custom picture set or video set that says they are paying for you as a performer to have red nails or a foot fetish pedicure video - just as examples - you cannot deduct it. My previous more lax CPA said I could deduct my hair extensions at cost but I had to pay for the professional install. The hair extension installation was not deductible since I wore them outside of work as they were semi-permanent.
moneybags;3229656 wrote:^^^ it depends on your CPA and as another poster said she deducted her expenses at 50% in the UK.

Here in the US I’m wondering if they would be more abusive. In the US, audits are focused on the poor and working class because they don’t have the money to fight the IRS. So for many of us, it’s best to just not risk pissing the IRS off. It really depends on your risk tolerance. If you haven’t been paying taxes in the past and you get flagged they can go 10 years back! So if you are going to try to write off every nickel and dime be prepared and make sure everything is above board. For example, if you do full service sex work and have a nice car and apartment then maybe it’s not worth it to claim every expense at the risk of getting audited and having the IRS poke their noses around in your bank account.

Also, ironically the IRS is underfunded so they likelihood of getting audited is pretty low.
KatyBoleyn;3230220 wrote:Cosmetic surgeries, by IRS rules, only be deducted (partially) if they are for bonafide health reasons. There was a very famous case where a stripper/model went through years of court cases to get hers deducted and she succeeded, but it wasn't a "binding resolution" that would apply to anyone else.

However, your CPA is who will give you cover in this situation. We like ours to be very conservative, but there's a crop of CPAs out there that are very anti-tax and "yahoo cowboy!" about what they will sign off on when it comes to your deductions. It is between you and your tax preparer if they're willing to sit through a hearing and talk about your implants to a judge, auditor, or mediator.

Keep in mind that the US, Canada, EU, and UK all have substantial differences in how they view sex work and/or adult entertainment legitimacy (of any kind) and the type of tax rules that apply, including write-offs.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tax-cour ... _b_5292707

"The judge compared the implants to work clothes and uniforms, which are allowable only if they satisfy a two-step test: (1) required as a condition of employment and (2) unsuitable for everyday use. It was a cinch for Cynthia to get over the first hurdle; her large, cumbersome breasts are a "costume," needed to retain her employment as a professional exotic dancer.

As for the second stipulation, the court cited Cynthia's testimony that she would remove the implants each day, were that possible. As they cause bacterial infections and other serious medical problems, her understandable preference would be not to "wear" them while offstage. The decision was that implants so extraordinarily large are "useful only in her business" and, therefore, deductible."

Again, since the IRS deemed this case "non-binding", it means anyone else that wants to deduct their implants under similar circumstances would theoretically need to go through the entire court procedure again.

Minnie
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:31 pm

Tax law changes all the time, one year it was for Canada, now it is not.

Always double check your Country's tax website and with an accountant or CPA. Yes you can have an accountant who is not a CPA.

Just make sure they are up to date with the current tax codes.

Youtube : youtube.com/minnieoncam | Facebook MinnieCRiley | Instagram @OnCamMinnie | Twitter @MinnieOnCam